Kinesio tape method
At Agility Spine & Sports we pride ourselves on providing patients with the most effective treatment opportunities that the physical therapy world can offer. Many of our patients are athletes and active people who deal with injuries to important areas on their body. In many cases a specific treatment plan will allow them to focus distinctively on the area of pain without placing more stress on other areas of the body. For patients dealing with muscle and structural damage, our physical therapists utilize the Kinesio tape method to properly alleviating pain in the needed area.
What is the Kinesio Tape Method?
Kinesio tape method is a technique that involves applying tape directly over an injured area, as well as around its perimeter. The natural elasticity of the tape creates a microscopic lifting action of the skin, which activates both neurological and circulatory healing mechanisms. Reduced pressure on pain receptors can rapidly relieve acute pain, while improving blood flow and lymphatic drainage which is responsible for reducing swelling and facilitating an effective healing process.
In most cases, the muscles should be held in a stretched position while the tape is applied. Unless the goal is to provide structural support, the tape itself does not usually require additional stretching as it is applied.
What does the Kinesio tape method do?
With slight variations in taping technique, kinesio taping can accomplish all of the following:
- Provide structural support to joints and muscles without restricting a healthy range of motion
- Correct improper muscle function by providing neurosensory feedback during movement
- Relieve pain from both acute injuries and chronic pain conditions
- Reduce swelling and inflammation through enhanced lymphatic drainage
- Accelerate healing via improved blood flow to injured tissues
- Prevent overuse and over-contraction of working muscles
- Accelerate recovery from intense exercise
- Reestablish normal muscle activation following an injury
- Increase muscle tone in injured or neurologically inhibited muscles
- Delay fatigue and improve endurance through enhanced muscle ‘snap back’
At Agility Physical Therapy in Tucson, our trained therapist will provide you with the most detailed information to help you decide if the Kinesio tape method is ideal for your particular injury. If you suffer from any of the problems above feel free to give us a call or set an appointment to get your journey to recovery started today!
7355 S Houghton Rd., Suite # 109,
Tucson, AZ 85747
Phone: (520) 664-9100
Fax: (520) 664-1099
Tanque Verde Clinic
8987 E Tanque Verde Rd suite 301,
Tucson, AZ 85749
Phone: (520) 884-9819
Fax: (520) 203-7419
River Road Clinic
Tucson, AZ 85718
Phone: (520) 884-9819
Fax: (520) 867-6681